Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Maritime (or Atlantic!) Birthday

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all having a great week!

Today I am celebrating my grandfather who just turned 81.  He lives back in Newfoundland so I thought a nautical theme would be perfect to celebrate with.  The Maritime DSP from Stampin' Up! fit the bill perfectly.

As always, I decided to play along with a couple of challenges.

1. Freshly Made Sketches

The sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches is a great one this week:


Check out this week's cue card:


How lucky did I get???

And here is my card:



This card ended up being super tough for me to get together - to put all the pieces together in my mind. I had stamped several images, fussy cut some, used different colours but finally it came together.  Sponging was the key to this for me.  I sponged around the oval cut out of the stamped anchor image and also took some of Stampin' Up!'s Whisper White Cotton Ribbon (which I love!) and sponged it with Early Espresso ink in order to "dirty it up" a bit.

I have to thank Hayley over at Hayley's Paper Garden for all of her help today including her photographing skills - she does a much better job of capturing the images than I do!

Card Recipe (all products are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise indicated):

Card Stock: Night of Navy, Real Red, Whisper White, Maritime DSP
Stamp Sets: Dictionary, The Open Sea
Inks: Early Espresso
Tools/Techniques: Sponging, Apothecary Accents Framelits, Extra Large Oval Punch, 1/4" Cotton Ribbon - Whisper White

Thanks for dropping by, so happy you took the time!
Steph

6 comments:

  1. Those bold stripes are perfect with the anchor! Great card for your grandfather in Newfoundland! Thanks for joining us at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Design is definitely an iterative process! I often look at my final product and wonder what took me so long (and why the recycling bin is so full! lol!) I love the masculine feel of this and that one little pop of aqua is genius! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way your card came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fabulous masculine card and I'm sure your grandfather will really appreciate it! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card for your grandfather, Stephanie! I love the inking around the anchor and that one teal stripe really makes everything pop! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautifully designed card for your grandfather, Steph! I'm sure he will keep it as art on a table; it's that lovely and so perfect for his surrounding!! (I agree with you about the sponging!) Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete